Title of the centre:
WHO Collaborating Centre for Infectious Disease Modelling
Director / Head:
Prof Neil Ferguson
Prof Christl Donnelly
The Medical Research Council Centre for Global Infectious Disease Analysis
Imperial College London
DIDE, Imperial College St. Mary's Campus, Norfolk Place
+44 (0) 20 7594 3296
+44 (0) 20 7594 3693
Date of Designation:
Date of Discontinuation:
Terms of Reference:
- Provide rapid analysis of urgent infectious disease problems, notably outbreaks and events of international concern.
- Provide technical research capability in specific disease areas
- Provide training/capacity building in modelling
- Coordination of expertise in infectious disease modelling
- Contribute to WHO information products as indicated and related activities in the workplan, subject to WHO approval
- Health information; statistics; measurement & trend assessment
- Communicable diseases other than those specifically mentioned
Types of activity:
- Training and education
- Development and application of appropriate technology
Ower: 1.7 - Member States and the international community equipped to detect, assess, respond to and cope with major epidemic and pandemic-prone diseases (e.g. influenza, meningitis, yellow fever, haemorrhagic fevers, plague and smallpox) through the development and implementation of tools, methodologies, practices, networks and partnerships for prevention, detection, preparedness and intervention.
Ower: 1.8 - Regional and global capacity coordinated and made rapidly available to Member States for detection, verification, risk assessment and response to epidemics and other public health emergencies of international concern.
Ower: 1.5 - New knowledge, intervention tools and strategies that meet priority needs for the prevention and control of communicable diseases developed and validated, with scientists from developing countries increasingly taking the lead in this research.
+41 22 791 3446
BROWN Caroline Sarah
Access to annual progress reports and the current workplan (this is accessible to WHO Staff Members only):
Link to eWork